Friday, August 28, 2009

Aggies For Christ

I just got back from SOAR. For those of you who don't know what that is, SOAR is a retreat that the Aggies for Christ puts together for people to come and get to know each other and further our relationships with fellow Christians and with God. I'm very glad that I went to SOAR because when I went into church last Sunday, I didn't know anyone and kind of felt left out of the loop. After going to SOAR, I know most of the people in AFC and I can see myself becoming really good friends with all of them. I feel like a part of them now.

The devo's on the retreat were absolutely awesome! The thing that I like about AFC is that they are open, real, and honest. They are open about the struggles that college students face and the hit it head on; they don't tip toe around it. They also realize that while we may be a club at A&M, and it may seem like the group is solely for the students, that the true intent of the club is to provide opportunities for students to do God's work in the world. That excites me so much. There are endless opportunities for students to get involved in with AFC.

The worship was also amazing! My favorite thing to do is to worship and praise our God, and we did a lot of that at SOAR. The singing was beautiful; there was no holding back of our love for God. I felt so connected with my brothers and sisters in Christ, but most of all with God.

I'm so excited to be a part of such an awesome group! I can't wait to talk to Kelly later this week about maybe leading a mission trip to Kenya next Summer. I got to watch a video of a guy named Hutt talking about his experiences in the slums of Nairobi and see the pictures that went along with it. I can't tell you how much I miss those kids and Made In The Streets! My heart is with those people in Kenya and I love each and everyone of them. I really hope that everything works out to go again next summer.

We are starting up the Freshman devo at A&M on Mondays at 9:15pm. I'm really excited about this also because it gives me a great opportunity to lead others in worship. There was a Sophomore guy named Austin who was sitting in front of me during a devo at SOAR who turned around after we finished singing and urged me to lead singing at the freshman devos. He came up to me again tonight at the AFC "back to school bash" to ask if I had taken that role. I told him that I did volunteer to lead worship this Monday, but that we have so many great leaders in our class that we would all eventually be leading worship and giving our devotional thoughts at the devos. I really think that our class in AFC is going to do great!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

That is so awesome! I'm sooo glad that you are getting connected with friends but even better christian friends! Good luck with your first week of school!!!